More news coming soon!
Federal Income Tax Withholding
If you need to change the amount of your federal tax withholding, you must submit a new W-4P to SERS. The new W-4P may be submitted at any time throughout the year.
You should contact a qualified tax advisor or an IRS representative at 800-829-1040 with questions about your taxes, including withholdings.
Taxation of Your Retirement Annuity
Illinois law exempts all SERS benefits from state income tax. However, benefits are subject to federal income tax. If your federal tax withholding information is not on file with SERS, taxes are withheld using the rate for a married person.
Each year, the Comptroller’s office is required to send you a 1099-R form showing the total annuity amount you received during the past year, as well as any taxes withheld.
W-4P Frequently Asked Questions
Who to Contact
Contact the State Employees' Retirement System
Contact our call center at (217)785-7444, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or email SERS@srs.illinois.gov for questions about:
- Overpayments for Disability/Pension/Survivor
- Annuity/ARCP Benefits
- Incorrect Insurance Premium Deductions
- Dependent Deaths
- Opt Out Financial Incentive
- Reciprocal Retirement Systems Service
- Address Discrepancy Regarding Insurance
- Change of Address/Name Requests
- Income Verifications
- Member Fraud Alerts
- POA/Guardianship/Executor/Trust Inquiries
- Taxes and Other Deductions
- Overpayments for Pension/Survivor
Contact mybenefits.illinois.gov or the MyBenefits Service Center (toll-free) (844)251-1777 or (TTY toll-free) (844)251-1778, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. CST for questions about:
- Changing/Opting out of Health Coverage
- Making Changes to your MAPD Plan
- Life Insurance Coverage & Requests to Increase/Decrease Amounts
- Adding/Dropping Dependents
- Insurance Premiums
Contact the Illinois Department of Central Management Services (CMS)
Contact the CMS Medicare Unit – (217)782-7007, the CMS Benefits & Claim Support Unit – (217)558-4486, the CMS Premium Collection Unit – (217)558-4783, or CMS General (toll-free) – (800)442-1300 for questions about:
- Insurance Claims
- Insurance Premium Payments for Direct Pay
Contact MetLife at (toll-free) (800)880-6394 or at metlife.com/ for questions about:
- Life Insurance
- Beneficiaries, Payment of Claims & Assignments