GARS Retiree Corner
More news coming soon!
Federal Income Tax Withholding
If you need to change the amount of your federal tax withholding, you must submit a new W-4P to JRS. The new W-4P may be submitted at any time throughout the year.
You should contact a qualified tax advisor or an IRS representative at 800-829-1040 with questions about your taxes, including withholdings.
Taxation of Your Retirement Annuity
Illinois law exempts all JRS benefits from state income tax. However, benefits are subject to federal income tax. If your federal tax withholding information is not on file with JRS, taxes are withheld using the rate for a married person with three exemptions.
Each year, the Comptroller’s office is required to send you a 1099-R form showing the total annuity amount you received during the past year, as well as any taxes withheld.
Who to Contact
Contact the General Assembly Retirement System
- Annuity Benefits
- Incorrect Insurance Premium Deductions
- Dependent Deaths
- Opt Out Financial Incentive
- Reciprocal Retirement Systems Service
- Address Discrepancy Regarding Insurance
- Change of Address/Name Requests
- Income Verifications
- Member Fraud Alerts
- POA/Guardianship/Executor/Trust Inquiries
- Taxes and Other Deductions
- Overpayments for Pension/Survivor
- Changing/Opting out of Health Coverage
- Making Changes to your MAPD Plan
- Life Insurance Coverage & Requests to Increase/Decrease Amounts
- Adding/Dropping Dependents
- Insurance Premiums